Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Helvetica

One of the most interesting moments in Helvetica for me was the conflicting idea about type being expressive. At first you hear that type should not be expressive and that it should be strictly informative. Then you hear that type has personality and that it can be expressive. I personally believe that type is both. Type should be used appropriately to communicate in a manner that suites its content. I find myself being drawn to fonts that are more expressive than informative. I can appreciate good design with informative type though.
Chinese graffiti


These are examples of type that are expressive. These would not be ideal for something that is supposed to be informative


My second favorite moment from Helvetica was when Helvetica was mentioned as a default. I find this very interesting. Why would Helvetica be considered a default? Is Helvetica too safe? I believe it is a strong typeface for something that is informative. I also believe that helvetica should not be viewed as a default. I think that it has its own appropriate uses just like every other typeface. 


In no way does this express how I feel about Helvetica
   

No comments:

Post a Comment